Open Air Summer Special
The Berlinale Summer Special kicks off with an opening event on the Museumsinsel on 9 June 2021. The Awards Ceremony, honouring prizewinners selected by official juries in March 2021, will be held on 13 June 2021.
In June 2021, the Berlinale Documentary Award and the GWFF Best First Feature Award will also be presented on the Museumsinsel. Other special events may be added to the Awards Ceremony and film premieres at that central location.
Every year, around 400 films of all genres, lengths and formats are shown in the various sections and special presentations of the Berlinale. Across the spectrum from feature films to documentary forms and artistic experiments, the audience is invited to encounter highly contrasting milieus, ways of life and attitudes, to put their own judgements and prejudices to the test and to reinvigorate their experience of seeing and perceiving in the realm between classic narrative forms and extraordinary aesthetics. The programme also thrives on an intense dialogue with its audiences. A rich array of spoken-word events, audience discussions and expert panels facilitate an active participation in the festival.
The Berlinale at a Glimpse
- The Competition is the festival’s centrepiece and screens the films that will be talked about.
- Encounters is a platform aiming to foster aesthetically and structurally daring works from independent, innovative filmmakers.
- The Berlinale Shorts competition radiates the full range of colours, stretches the boundaries and lays down new tracks in the vast field of cinematic possibilities
- Sexy, edgy, daring. Panorama screens extraordinary cinema, is a traditional audience favourite and - with its own audience award - has the festival’s biggest jury.
- The Forum and Forum Expanded stand for reflections on the medium of film, socio-artistic discourse and a particular sense for the aesthetic.
- Generation presents films that matter – for young cineastes and everyone else.
- In Perspektive Deutsches Kino directing talents screen their debut films and bring a breath of fresh air to the cinema with their individual styles.
- Berlinale Special offers space for the extraordinary, the glamorous and the festival’s special concerns.
- Berlinale Series offers an exclusive first look at the most exciting new series productions from around the world.
- Discover film history and view it anew in screenings of the highest quality: Retrospective, Berlinale Classics and Homage.
- The special presentation Berlinale Goes Kiez brings festival films and their casts and crews to art house cinemas.
The Summer Special Programme is available on berlinale.de on 20 May 2021. Advance tickets go on sale on 27 May 2021.